Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums

Carolina Riders & Riders of the Carolinas Forums (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/index.php)
-   NC - Mountains (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   NC80 North of US19 toward Bakersville (http://www.carolinariders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6137)

sprint_st 07-23-2012 11:34 AM

NC80 North of US19 toward Bakersville

Anyone ridden NC80 N of Micaville toward Bandana lately? Just trying to determine what the condition of the road is like. Been using Snow Creek and Arbuckle to go around it since they gutter to gutter chip and sealed it a couple years back.

tireatr 07-24-2012 08:43 PM

Re: NC80 North of US19 toward Bakersville

Still a sub par surface IMHO. Snow creek and Arbuckle are better anyway. Most of 226A south of Bakersville has been resurfaced too. Put them all together and it does what 80 did.

sprint_st 07-25-2012 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tireatr
Still a sub par surface IMHO. Snow creek and Arbuckle are better anyway. Most of 226A south of Bakersville has been resurfaced too. Put them all together and it does what 80 did.

I agree. Been going that way since you showed me the way last year. Thanks.

sprint_st 07-29-2012 10:20 AM

Ran it yesterday, Sat, Jul 28. It's OK, but I'm placing it in my "Why???" category. From the Mitchell Co line at the bridge to where it meets 226A N of Bandana, the surface has grooves in it. Before it was chip and sealed the surface was not pristine by any means but you could pick lines that had a high degree of confidence. The feedback I get from the new surface is a constant change as it moves from groove to groove. I'm no Valentino Rossi by any means but the surface does not inspire confidence. There is an excellent way to go around this section, so "Why" use it. Goes right along with tireater's comments.

Thanks

FZ Hooligan 11-07-2012 08:48 AM

I was on it a few weeks back, and wish I wasn't. Like stated above, the surface is VERY rough, plus there is tons of debris scattered throughout. Many times it's in the driving lines on the tight blind rt handers, which always sucks.

Bucky 05-07-2013 07:11 PM

How is NC-80 south of the BRP down to US-70?

STRETCH 05-07-2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky
How is NC-80 south of the BRP down to US-70?

fixed it for ya.
I might head out that way thursday, I'll let you know how it looks, but that section of 80 usualy stays in good shape.

sprint_st 05-08-2013 06:01 AM

Ran that portion several times this spring. Latest was maybe two weeks ago. It's in good shape. North part isn't that bad either, except with all the rain lately North part will probably have its usual wash overs from driveways.

Bucky 05-13-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprint_st
Ran that portion several times this spring. Latest was maybe two weeks ago. It's in good shape. North part isn't that bad either, except with all the rain lately North part will probably have its usual wash overs from driveways.

Blind Kenny does photos south of the BRP on NC-80, formerly called the Devil's Staircase, now the Devil's Whip. He is usually out Thursday through Sunday.

I hope to be his subject soon.

sprint_st 05-17-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky
Blind Kenny does photos south of the BRP on NC-80, formerly called the Devil's Staircase, now the Devil's Whip. He is usually out Thursday through Sunday.

I hope to be his subject soon.

I got some of his pics a while back. He right below one of the big switchbacks. Nearly got a spectacular shot a few weeks back. I was coming down and an older R100R? was behind me. As I made the turn a red corvette was doing one of those take half of the left lane before turning turns. I didn't have a problem and just moved right. The guy behind had to go off the edge. He didn't go down, but I'm sure he had some choice words for car guy.